Thursday 22 March 2007

Les Alpes Françaises


After initially banning myself from snowboarding while living in Paris in an effort to conserve cash and suitcase space, I ended up giving in about a month ago when it hit me that it's the Alps!! How could I not go?

It was a bit of a whirlwind trip involving an overnight bus on Friday, two days on the slopes, and then another overnight bus Sunday dropping us back to Paris just in time to shower, take a quick nap and still be at work on time.

It may be the warmest winter Europe has ever had (just my luck, the year I lived in Canada there was no snow in the Rockies and the year I live here there's no snow in Europe) but the Alps didn't disappoint. I spent the weekend at Les Trois Vallées which is the largest ski-able area in the world! I don't think I even got to ride a quarter of what was on offer. The Alps are so different to anywhere else I've ever skied before, most of the runs are above the tree line so when you look around it's just white in every direction and the only thing dividing one run from another is a line of marker poles. The lack of trees led to amazing views, especially on the two beautiful days we were there. The only thing was that the lack of tree also led to a lack of tree runs and I have to say that I really missed narrowly dodging giant pine tree after giant pine tree.

Two days was definitely not enough and it was really hard to head back to Paris but I'm so glad that I was able to visit the Alps, it was a fantastic weekend and totally worth the 20 hours on the bus it took to get there and back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home